From eggplant to remove the bitterness
Eggplant or blue, as I used to call them the people, it is a vegetable from the nightshade family. A delicious product of the Housewives used for cooking different dishes – salads, savoury snacks, vegetable caviar, garnish for meat dishes, baklazhanovy now and cutlets. Eggplant is often used for preparations for the winter, because delicious canned vegetables are always appropriate for everyday or holiday table. During cooking, it is important that product is gone the bitterness that has some blue. Read more about how to remove it, see below.
How to choose the right eggplant
The correct choice of eggplant is an important step in the preparation of any dish, because depending on how to look blue, which they feel is a degree of bitterness. Bitter is not the flesh and skin of the Solanaceae, because it contains a special substance – solanine. In large amounts this element can be harmful to humans, can cause poisoning or disease. After the eggplants picked from the garden, they have virtually no bitterness. Already after lying a considerable time on the counter, generates a large amount of solanine. How to choose eggplant without bitterness:
- Prefer young fruits. If you have the opportunity to buy fresh eggplants at the market, take them. Vegetables immediately after harvest you can cook without using special methods to remove the bitterness – it will not be there.
- Examine the stalk from the blue ones. It should be elastic, and the leaves adjacent to vegetables, green and alive. Do not take the eggplant with dry leaves.
- Choose blue with a smooth surface and needs a bit of creaking when holding it with a finger. Discard the eggplant with slippery skin.
- Do not take a huge soft vegetables – they contain a lot of solanine. It’s an old blue.
- The darker the skin, the better. Such products contain higher amounts of antioxidants.
Proven ways to get rid of the bitterness in eggplant
There are several proven ways to remove the bitterness of eggplant. You can do this by using a saline treatment, soaking Solanaceae, their freezing, soaking in milk or cleansing. Method must choose individually, depending on which dish you want to cook. For example, clearing involves the complete removal of the skins, while some recipes require it. Below you will learn several simple methods of removing the bitterness which are sure to make dishes with eggplant even more delicious.
Treatment with salt
There are two main ways to remove the bitterness out of the blue. Both of them are using regular iodized salt, which are each hostess. The first is called «dry», since its Commission is not soaking. You can handle salt, sliced, slices, diced eggplant. How to conduct a salt processing without water:
- Prepare the food: eggplants wash, wipe with a cloth, cut into pieces, remove the stems. Take coarse salt. Large pellets are needed because of the porosity of the skins of blue: if the salt is too small, the skin will absorb it, the future of the dish can be this salty.
- Take a deep bowl, add chopped or whole vegetables. Sprinkle them with salt. For eggplant will take about twenty minutes – then on their surface will exude drops of liquid.
- After the time to rinse the eggplants, dry them and use for future cooking.
Soaking in water
The «wet» method of processing salt eggplants are also very popular. It is great if you don’t want to cut the blue prior to treatment and want to cut the bitterness, while they are still intact. To carry out this procedure, you will need a fuse that will not allow plants to emerge. How to hold a soaking of fresh bitter eggplant in salt water:
- Enter a pot with clean cold salted water. Per liter of water is enough for one tablespoon of salt. Eggplant cut into slices, cubes or slices, you can also leave them whole.
- Put the vegetables in the pan. Blue will not sink in water, so you will need to install the top yoke: they can serve as a round wooden Board the size of the pan, on top of which the stone.
- Keep the eggplant in salted water for about thirty minutes. If you put the whole vegetables, the procedure for removal of bitterness will take a few hours.
- Rinse the vegetables after the desired time, gently press them. Can use vinegar for cooking.
The easiest way to clear blue from the skin
If you don’t want to spend a lot of time on the manipulation of the eggplant, or the recipe provides for peeled vegetables, you can get rid of the bitterness by removing skins with blue. For this you need a special peeler or a sharp knife. Eliminate the peel you remove the source of bitterness – solanine, which it contains. How to remove the blue from the skin:
- Thoroughly wash the eggplant, wipe with a dry towel to remove moisture.
- With a vegetable peeler or knife to carefully remove the thin layer of skin.
- Slice or grate the eggplant, depending on the recipe for future cooking.
Another way to make blue less bitter is to leave them in the freezer for a few hours. To do this, wash the product, dry, cut into slices. Put them on a plate, leave to freeze for four hours. When will the right amount of time, remove blue, squeeze out excess liquid. They are perfect for cooking eggplant, potatoes, or eggs, because they quickly lose their shape when cooking.
Benefits and harms of Blues
Eggplant is a useful product that can be an important part of a balanced human diet. Solanaceae contain many useful vitamins and microelements, necessary for organism. For example, the vitamins C, e, PP, substances such as magnesium, calcium, pectin, potassium, phosphorus, iron, sodium, fiber. Useful properties of blue:
- Help to cope with cigarette addiction. Thanks to the vitamin PP or Niacin, the lack of cigarettes will be transferred much easier.
- Contribute to weight loss. Low calorie blue and vitamin-rich composition makes them an indispensable product in the diet losing weight.
- Remove toxins and excess fluid. This is due to the fiber contained in vegetable crops.
- Stimulate digestion, remove cholesterol. This contributes to the content in Solanaceae pectin.
The only harm that can bring blue organisms associated with the content of solanine in the peel of vegetable crops. This alkaloid in large quantities can be poison, poisoning, accompanied by the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, fatigue, fever, General malaise. Solanine is mainly found in older fruit. To neutralize the alkaloid after the poisoning will help the milk, egg white, mucous soups.
Video tutorial: how to remove eggplant bitterness
To eggplant was delicious in the chosen dish, remove from them the bitterness is an important procedure before you start cooking. To do this, you may at some time pickle cut the fruit, soak them in water for a few hours to freeze or just remove the skin. For first timers it does, it is important to know how to remove bitterness, how much time it takes. In the video below you will learn how to soak eggplants, they have ceased to be bitter, and yet there is a method for the rapid elimination of bitterness. Watch interesting videos from experienced cooks: