Umbilical hernia in children
Common pathology, found in newborn children is an umbilical hernia. To determine very easy: in the navel of the baby, there is a slight swelling of the abdominal wall. The size of the hernia may be from a pea to quail eggs.
The causes of the disease
Umbilical hernia in the newborn:
The appearance of the disease in the infant due to the lack of connective tissue in the anterior abdominal wall. Causing slowly fused umbilical ring and eventually forms an empty space. Hernia does not occur in all newborns. There are some factors that may provoke the disease:
- Prematurity and low birth weight. Such children connective tissue is less Mature than in full-term and big babies.
- Problems of digestion. Flatulence and constipation cause the baby often straining. This increases intra-abdominal pressure.
- Frequent strong cry.
In older children:
An umbilical hernia is found not only in newborns but also older babies. Causes of disease are:
- early adoption of the child vertical position, when the physical development of children is not age (for example, before he began to walk);
- strong painful cough;
- obesity and excess weight;
- frequent and prolonged constipation, flatulence;
- malnutrition, rickets.
The main signs and symptoms
Symptoms of hernia are very characteristic:
- A rounded protrusion in the umbilical region with a diameter of 1-10 cm Swelling can easily reduce a into the abdominal cavity.
- With relaxed abdominal hernia may not be noticeable, but the tension is clearly manifested.
The symptoms of umbilical hernia in children:
- common concern;
- hernia is painless, but can lead to bloating;
- sensitivity to weather changes;
- if you experience bloating, weakness, nausea and pain at the same time – should immediately seek medical help.
Umbilical hernia in newborn boys and girls is determined as a pediatrician at a scheduled inspection by probing the navel. Diagnosis is not difficult. However, for confirmation of the diagnosis carried out a routine inspection of the children’s surgeon, which further addressed the issue of the treatment of hernia. To exclude other congenital pathological diseases of the abdominal cavity is carried out:
- ultrasound examination;
- x-ray of the duodenum.
How to treat an umbilical hernia
Often, umbilical hernia in the infant easily reduce a into place without any surgical intervention. With the right approach to getting rid of the illness, the pathology disappears before 5 years of age and is recovery. Treatment of umbilical hernia without surgery is available several ways, to which should be regularly under supervision of the district pediatrician or a pediatric surgeon.
Therapeutic exercise and massage
Conservative treatment methods include physiotherapy and massage. Children’s doctors developed a set of exercises for gymnastics, aimed at strengthening the muscles of the abdominal wall. To start the exercises from childhood:
- Coups from back to belly, first to help, pulling the handle, then promote your own movements.
- To provide the legs of the child, the emphasis in the belly of the parents to raise the baby at an angle of 45°.
- Before feeding put children on a hard surface, giving freely to jerk his limbs.
The older children can do gymnastics under the supervision of mothers, performing simple physical exercises. For example, forward bends and side crunches, squats, pull-UPS on the bar. If the child is too active and not in control of his movement, you can wear a special bandage or stick a plaster on the navel area.
Gives good results massage the abdomen. Perform can both the health worker and the mother of the child. Light strokes should be alternated with a slight tingling around the navel, on which the child must react by smiling or laughing. Direction of massage can be circular, from the top down to the hypochondrium, counter. All movements must be done smoothly, without pressure. Start a therapeutic massage immediately after tightening the umbilical wound.
Apply a special patch
Umbilical hernia in children is effectively removed using a special adhesive. It is sold in the pharmacy or baby store. Superimposed on the area of the navel wide band and leave for 10 days. When applied correctly the protrusion of the abdomen reduce. If after the first time umbilical hernia not disappeared, repeat the treatment up to three times. The disadvantage of this method is that the patch causes irritation to the delicate skin of the child.
For the treatment of umbilical hernia in children, parents often resort to folk medicine. This method is to use in parallel with the traditional under the strict supervision of a pediatrician:
- Regular putting some baby on his tummy for 10-15 minutes before feeding. The surface should be firm, smooth and wide.
- Daily application of a gauze in the navel of the baby, soaked in brine sour cabbage, cover it with a small circle of fresh potato tubers.
- Adhesion using adhesive tape copper nickels coins. The socks length is 1-1,5 months. During water treatment to remove.
- Applying to the navel a clay pellet. Made with 2 tbsp red rocks, diluted in a little water, which is heated to 38° and is applied. After drying removed. The duration of application for 3 weeks.
- Conspiracy umbilical hernia. It is a magical and delicate method of getting rid of the disease, therefore, to obtain the desired result it is necessary to believe.
- Children over years carried out tonic pouring nagpapatrol region. In 1 liter of cold water to throw 1 tbsp of Apple cider vinegar. Procedure is done morning and night.
In some cases, surgery is performed
If treatments have failed recovery, it is assigned an operation to remove an umbilical hernia. Surgical intervention is assigned to 5 years of the child. Sometimes surgery is prescribed at an earlier age if:
- hernia is danger of the child’s life;
- the protrusion protrudes more than 1.5 cm, and the age of the child more than 2 years;
- umbilical hernia appeared after six months;
- the increase in the protrusion;
- the child feels psychological discomfort.
Possible complications and consequences
In most cases, umbilical hernia in children causes no effects and goes with the age of the baby. Unfortunately, in rare cases, however, there are complications:
- Squeezing of umbilical hernia (incarceration). Manifested by nausea, vomiting, blood in the stool, increased flatulence, increasing pain in the groin or scrotum. The defect does not reduce with pressure.
- Inflammation of the internal organ in the hernial SAC.
- The tearing of the soft tissues over the herniation bag: the contents exposed.
- Koprostaz – diseases of the gastrointestinal tract that is manifested by stagnation of feces in the large intestine.
Video: what is an umbilical hernia in newborns
Looks like an umbilical hernia in a child