OCD is that the person haunted by thoughts, actions, impulses, from which you can’t get rid of. Medical language obsessive thoughts are called obsessions, and the actions – compulsie. Compulsive movements, manipulations are transformed into rituals that violate patient neurosis can not, it causes panic.
Signs of neurosis
Neurotic disorder occurs when the nerve endings disturbed metabolism of certain substances (neurotransmitters) is a serotonin, dopamine and adrenaline. Their task is to carry nerve impulses and the behavior of the disorder function one changes. Neuroses are often caused by stress and fueled by problems in the future, a person becomes ill from anxiety, and they do not allow it to become healthy.
Obsessive-phobic neurosis, obsessive-compulsive disorder may be characterized by thoughts, doubts, fears, beliefs that the person is not able to control. This patient with OCD realizes that something is wrong, sees their problems, trying to deal with them. Signs of OCD:
- Doubt, mistrust, anxiety, pathological self-doubt. Man repeatedly checks whether the iron is off, the gas, washed the dishes whether patients with OCD do not trust their feelings, becomes anxious.
- Fears, painful fear, doubt in their ability to make any future action: to speak, to remember and to recite.
- Obsessive thoughts, an endless mental playback of names, surnames, poetry.
- «Stuck in the head» scraps of words, persistent ideas that contradict those attitudes of man, «crazy» thoughts (what if the dog will grow a fifth leg).
- Phobia haunted fears, e.g., fear of heart disease (cardiophobia), enclosed spaces (claustrophobia) and more.
- Intrusive actions when there is a desire to do something without having to something: to count items that catch the eye all the time to stretch your neck, adjusting her hair, arrange the items, to wash hands constantly, an obsession with cleaning.
- The idea that pursuing vivid memories (excerpt ringtones, other sound images, which are impossible to get rid of, visual representation).
- Memories, when again and again come to mind the details of unpleasant events, some fragments of the event.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in an adult is manifested in external behaviour:
- compulsive overeating looks like the «binding problem» to relieve stress, internal discomfort;
- the diet – obsessive fasting to weight loss;
- gambling, a need to risk gambling;
- workaholism, the need to be busy, a full immersion in the work;
- the need for achievement that turns into obsession, a grueling race for the symbol, which symbolizes well-being (house, expensive car);
- fatigue physical exercises;
- a compulsive need for sex, multiple relationships;
- thirst stress, adventure;
- escape, desire to escape from life’s problems, refusal from contacts;
- the compulsion to spend, to make ill-considered purchases (Shopaholic);
- fanaticism – the desire to have an idol to worship;
- thirst to organize everything, to paint life on any of the items be regulated.
Syndrome obsessive movements in children
Obsessive-compulsive syndrome in young patients is often confused with tics, uncontrolled muscle contractions and movements. Ticks do not always have psychological causes that they can not track and retain. Compulsive movements succumb to willpower and always talking about the psychological discomfort. All compulsive movements are not amenable to enumeration, a lot of them, they are individual. The main symptom of neurosis is that all these steps are repeated almost every minute, accompanied by tantrums, insomnia. Symptoms of neurosis:
- nibble nails;
- snap of the fingers;
- the smacking, the twitching lip, the biting of the lips;
- the desire to circumvent the items on the left or just the right;
- the child is constantly and sharply turns his head, turns buttons, blowing on his palm.
OCD – what is this disease
There are common obsessions, or obsessions in obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Patients with obsessive-compulsive fear of germs, contamination, have various phobias, manic punctual, strive for accuracy and symmetry, are vulnerable to sexual thoughts or images. Obsessive thoughts can appear in a healthy person, but in a patient with obsessive-compulsive disorder they are «through the roof». A patient with OCD suffers from anxiety, which is trying to «extinguish» compulsery, reminiscent of the rituals.
Compulsive movements that are repeats of people with obsessive-compulsive disorder, have his «security» role, performing these actions, he tries to drown the inner panic. Compulsie may have the character of physical actions (check, switched off the stove, lock the door, pours water) or thoughts (the utterance of the phrase in your mind, count). Anxiety can be hereditary, can be caused by neurological problems or occur as an autoimmune reaction (associated with streptococcal infection in children).
Diagnosis of neurosis
To diagnose obsessive-compulsive disorder may shrink. This is done by examination of the patient, his survey conversation with relatives, home. If there is a suspected brain damage, is assigned to the MRI or CT scan. The psychiatrist makes a differential diagnosis, to exclude other mental disorders such as psychosis, schizophrenia at an early stage and a tumor of the brain.
Scale Yale – Brown
The severity of obsessive-compulsive disorder is measured on a scale of Yale-brown. In her 10 points, which listed the symptoms of OCD, and in paragraphs 5 degrees of severity, each has a corresponding score from 0 to 4. Answering the questions of the test, the patient assesses symptoms of OCD during the week. By the number of points is determined by how pronounced neurosis, from subclinical conditions (initial stage) to extremely severe OCD.
Treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder
Help with obsessive-compulsive disorder depends on the causes of OCD:
- If the neurosis arose from endogenous depression (temporary disturbance in brain metabolism of dopamine or serotonin) to cure it, apply anti-depressants and psychotherapy.
- When OCD as an independent disorder, antidepressants supplemented with drugs of other groups, use psychotherapy.
- In neurosis and reactive depression (stress response) the priority of psychotherapy and medication is secondary.
- In the case of obsessive-compulsive disorder on the background of neurasthenia (nervous exhaustion), the mainstay of treatment nootropic drugs.
Treatment of OCD is performed with the use of folk remedies:
- almonds boosts brain activity;
- walnuts contribute to the balance of chemicals in the brain, increase the serotonin, melatonin;
- Mac helps to eliminate depression;
- St. John’s wort works as an antidepressant.
In this form of treatment for OCD, the therapist works with the patient, using reasoned statements to create a true «internal picture of the disease», that is the right attitude of the patient for OCD to their illness. This method was developed in the early twentieth century, Paul Dubois, a Swiss neurologist. At the core of his concept is the idea that neurosis is the result of misconceptions and reasoning of the patient. To overcome the neurosis may be subject to a change of attitude towards him.
Medication of neurosis
The main method that is used to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder in Russia – drug. To deal with obsessive-compulsive syndrome drugs help the following groups:
- Antidepressants: Sertraline, Clomipramine, Fluoxetine.
- Tranquilizers (anxiolytics): Clonazepam, Relanium, Lorafen, Phenazepam. Anxiolytics prescribed to patients with OCD a short period of time to restore sleep and reduce anxiety. If you take them for a long time, in addition to neurosis will develop dependence.
- In severe chronic forms of obsessive-compulsive prescribed atypical psychotropic (antipsychotics) Chlorpromazine, Truxal.