Increased leukocytes in the smear
Cells that reside in the human immune system – white blood cells. They are designed to protect the body from various infections. A large number of leukocytes in the smear (over 15 units) indicates the presence in women of inflammatory processes.
What is the white blood cells in a smear
To destroy pathogens that penetrate the vaginal flora, leukocytes are capable of. The level of increase of such cells reflects the severity of the inflammatory process. The more you have, the harder it is the disease. This protection helps to detect inflammation, thus makes it impossible to determine which infection is causing the development of the disease.
Microscopic smear is a standard procedure done by a gynecologist at every visit to women. Can the survey do for men sample for analysis they take from the urethra. Women are encouraged to conduct research several times a year. The analysis will reveal elevated white blood cells in a smear that indicate the presence of disease at an early stage, when treatment is most effective.
Symptoms of leukocytosis
A condition characterized by excess blood white blood cells (WBCs), called leukocytes. Cells to protect people from invasion of viruses and prevent their reproduction. Constant elevated levels of leukocytes is the result of the inflammatory process of various etiology, which often is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- burning sensation and unpleasant odor from the vagina;
- pain when urinating;
- white cheesy discharge from the vagina;
- painful intercourse;
- failure of the menstrual cycle;
- itching of genitals;
- unsuccessful attempts to get pregnant;
- temperature rise;
Why smear a lot of white blood cells
The high content of white blood cells may indicate the beginning of the inflammatory process. Taurus focus in the infected place, and then begin to fight dangerous viruses and bacteria. The more germs accumulate, the greater the number of protective cells. Causes of the increase of white blood cells in a smear is an allergic reaction, infection, bad influence polymorphonuclear pathogens. In addition, to trigger an increase in cell following factors:
- Escherichia coli;
- vaginal dysbiosis;
- STDs – sexually transmitted diseases (gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, ureaplasmosis);
- hormonal imbalance;
- inflammation of the vagina;
In what diseases increased WBC
In women, increased leukocytes in the smear indicate various diseases of internal organs and the reproductive system. The body immediately reacts to the disease, so a study can determine the presence of infection at an early stage. Even if there are no visible symptoms of the disease and the woman do not care, laboratory analysis may show a different picture. As a rule, an increased amount of cells cause the following diseases:
- endometritis – inflammation that can occur in the uterus;
- cervicitis – elevated leukocytes in the cervical canal;
- adnexitis – diseases of the appendages;
- colpitis inflammation of the vagina;
- dysbacteriosis of the intestine;
- cervical erosion;
- urethritis is inflammation of the urethra;
- sexual infections (chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea).
A normal smear in women
The number of protective white blood cells in women in the smear should be up to 15 units is the norm. In the urethra, the number of such cells should not be more than 5 units, in the cervix — 15 units, the vagina is 10 units. If the level is protective of the bodies becomes the norm and shows 20 or more units, it suggests that there is an infectious and inflammatory processes.
The small increase in the number of leukocytes (up to 30) can be observed before menstruation is a natural phenomenon. In addition, the growth of cells after the first sample is taken is sometimes unreliable, because it can be taken the wrong material. For example, a «thick» smear is almost not visible, as the field is covered with clusters of cells that overlap each other. To eliminate all risks, she should take the test again.
Increased leukocytes in the smear during pregnancy
While waiting baby a pregnant woman passes a number of tests and is undergoing tests. One of them is a gynecological smear shows white blood cell count. As a rule, the number of cells during pregnancy may be high, what is considered normal and requires no intervention on the part of the gynecologist. The woman must always be seen by a doctor for an exception of emergence of inflammatory processes. If time is not to conduct therapy, there may be complications (abortion and negative effects on the fetus).
In norm leukocytes during pregnancy ranged from 15 to 30 units. If their content exceeds means that the body infection is present. In many cases, the pregnancy just exacerbated chronic diseases. Although frequently elevated white blood cell count may indicate fungal (candidiasis) and genital infections: genital herpes, gonorrhea, syphilis. If the protective body of a pregnant woman exceeds the norm, the additional studies: bacterial cultures, PCR diagnostics, immunological study.
How to treat white blood cells in a smear
The detection of the increase of white blood cells in women, the doctor may prescribe treatment, but only after you have established the cause of this growth. In some cases, to find the etiology of the increase fails and resorts to the specialist monitoring the patient regularly, it will be necessary to pass the examination. The main task of therapy is not a cure for reducing white blood cells, and the disease that caused their growth. Methods of treatment:
- For thrush, the doctor will prescribe antifungal agents (Nystatin, and Sertaconazole, pimafucin and vaginal spark Terginan).
- If the increase of leukocytes caused by chlamydia, it is necessary to drink antibiotics (levofloxacin, amoxicillin, doxycycline, azithromycin, erythromycin). Treatment should undergo a sexual partner of the patient.
- For the treatment of gonorrhea women and men prescribe Ceftriaxone, azithromycin, doxycycline.
- The increase of white blood cells in syphilis is treated with drugs containing penicillin (Ceftriaxone, ampicillin).
- Sanitation of the genital organs.
- At elevated leukocytes in smear a good helping of douching with a solution of chlorophyllin and warm baths.
- Use special swabs with aloe juice and honey.
- Rarely – treatment of folk remedies: douching with chamomile extract, a decoction of oak bark, or St. John’s wort.