The glycemic index
The index, which indicates the degree of increase in blood sugar levels, depending on which product was used, called the glycemic index. Taking into account it is easy to determine which food is uniformly converted into energy and other foods with carbohydrates and high levels of KI, which is stored as fats. In order to lose weight fast, be constantly in shape and eat right, you should consider the glycemic index of each product. Consider this value for different types of food and will bring the best recipes of meals with low.
What is the glycemic index?
Conventionally denoted the parameter GI indicates the rate of decay of carbohydrate-containing product in human body, compared with such a characteristic the breakdown of glucose. Between these indicators there is a direct correlation. This means that the faster cleaved product in the body, the higher its value on the glycemic index. Based on these data, nutritionists divide all the food into 3 categories: high, medium, low GI.
If a person wants to lose weight, then it is recommended a few weeks to eat foods with minimal glycemic index. After passing this phase, the diet allowed to include food with medium GI. Food with high glycemic index are not recommended for use by almost all people, not just those who want to lose weight. Some kinds such food are considered sick and may adversely affect the General state of the organism.
What determines the GI of the product?
Foods with a low glycemic index are called complex (slow carbohydrates composed of starch), and high GI – fast (empty carbohydrates). All food products are divided into 4 families: cereals, legumes, fruits, tubers. To the starch of these products penetrate the intestinal walls, it turns into glucose. This is done via the digestive enzyme amylase. On the glycemic index of the product is influenced by such factors:
- The ratio of amylose and amylopectin. Starch grains in connection with the liquid swell, resulting in a viscous mixture. The more amylose in the product, the less it zhelatinirovatsja and little glucose it forms during the decay. In this case, the glycemic index will be low.
- The type of processing a food product (mechanical, thermal). When heated in water the glycemic index grows, it visually reflects on the quality of the food.
- Retrogradation (the reverse process to jelatinizirovanny). If the product decreases the viscosity, temperature and amount of moisture, then the glycemic index will decline. But it should be understood that to reverse the process of zhelatinirovatsja impossible.
- The presence in food of proteins, dietary fiber. If the products are data elements, they can reduce the breakdown of starches and reduce glycemic index.
- The degree of maturity of products, their shelf life. The more ripe the vegetable, the fruit, the more its glycemic index. During long-term storage of products, their KI will also rise.
A diet based on the glycemic index
The essence of the diet is to replace simple carbohydrates in the diet to difficult. So, the food is slowly absorbed by the body for a long time to saturate it with nutrients, and fluctuations in blood sugar will be absent. Such a diet based on the glycemic index previously developed for diabetics, but with its help, people can easily lose weight and come to the desired shape. Consider the basic rules of the daily diet:
- Eat only those foods that have low glycemic index.
- Food portions should be small.
- With the consolidation of the results allowed to eat foods with a medium glycemic index, but be sure to limit: sugar, honey, muffin, potato, rice, maize, and bananas.
- Do not boil and do not cook the food long eat fresh food.
- Vegetable soup with a low glycemic index. In a container with boiling water (2 l) toss the washed, fresh, soft peas and leave for 10 minutes. Add the chopped onion, pepper, cabbage, and broccoli. After all the ingredients boil for 1-2 minutes, add the chopped tomato with olive oil, salt, a bit of allspice, Bay leaf and lots of greenery.
- Baked fish with a low glycemic index. Clean medium size, lean mackerel, remove the head. Inside the fish put chopped onion, tomato and lemon slices. From top to grate the dish with salt, pour over the lime juice. Bake in the oven, pre-wrapped in foil, for about 20-30 minutes at moderate temperatures.
- Seafood salad with a low glycemic index. Boil shrimp, squid, quail eggs. All cleaned, cut into small pieces, add shredded cabbage, tomatoes. After the salad is salted and seasoned with oil, it is ready to use. Bon appetit!
Reviews about the effectiveness of the diet
Irina, 23 years: «a Diet based on foods with a low glycemic index, I advised my mother. I ate 2 weeks only the food, which is in the 1st group with the lowest GI. Then about 3 weeks in my diet were foods with a medium glycemic index. In the end, I lost 5 kg of excess weight without much for this effort. Now have the same power, because it is still very delicious.»
Natalie, 45 years: «For his life, tried a lot of diets. Many of them were effective, at the end I was losing weight, but after some time again recruited. Following a diet based on foods with a low glycemic index, in 3 weeks I managed to lose 6 lbs. But very positive that over the next 2 months I lost another 5 kg by eating foods with a medium level of GI».
Victor, 38 years. «When I was 35, I decided to radically change my appearance because I was not satisfied with my weight of 95 kg at growth 178 cm in a year, I ate only foods with a medium level GI, as a result: 74 kg perfect figure and health. However, the diet I added exercise in the gym. My way to lose weight is based on the glycemic index uses and wife.»
Table of products with the indication of the glycemic index
Anyone can prepare a diet for a few weeks or months to do this is to look at the table of products having low and medium glycemic index. We should also consider the rules of cooking and the factors that can increase the GI. A table with the relevant values on the glycemic index of popular foods.
List of foods with a high GI (70 and above)
||The glycemic index|
|Toasted white bread||100|
|Modified starch, substitute||100|
|Fresh rolls butter||95|
|Fried in butter potatoes||95|
|Potato gratin in the oven||95|
|Baked potato in the pan||95|
|Boiled rice noodles||92|
|White rice, round||90|
|Gluten-free white bread||90|
|Savory popcorn, without salt||85|
|Rice pudding with milk||85|
|Carrots (boiled or stewed)||85|
|Corn flakes without the frosting||85|
|Muesli with nuts and raisins||80|
|Savory homemade waffles||75|
|Lasagna soft wheat varieties||75|
|Chocolate bars («bounty», «Twix», «Snickers», etc.)||70|
|Sweet carbonated water||70|
|Potato chips with salt||70|
Products with average GI (50 to 69)
|Product||The glycemic index|
|Wheat flour first grade||69|
|Fresh pineapple without the midway||66|
|Orange juice, freshly squeezed||65|
|Black purchase yeast bread||65|
|Beets (boiled or stewed)||65|
|Muesli cooked with sugar||65|
|Raisins of any grape variety||65|
|Canned pineapple with sugar||65|
|Store-bought rye bread||65|
|Store-bought whole wheat bread||65|
|Ka, boiled in their jackets with salt||65|
|Canned vegetables direct Ambassador||65|
|Yams (sweet potatoes)||65|
|Macaroni cooked with cheese||64|
|Pancakes made from wheat flour and eggs||62|
|Dlinnozernogo white rice||60|
|Oatmeal with butter||60|
|Cocoa powder (with sugar)||60|
|Canned sweet corn with sugar||57|
|The ketchup store||55|
|Grape juice (without sugar)||55|
|Shortbread cookies, purchase||55|
|Canned peaches with sugar||55|
|Cranberry juice (without sugar)||50|
|Boiled basmati Rice||50|
|Pineapple juice without sugar||50|
|Brown brown rice, boiled||50|
|Apple juice (without sugar)||50|
Low GI (49 and below)
|Product||The glycemic index|
|Cranberries (fresh, frozen)||47|
|Grapefruit juice (without sugar)||45|
|Brown basmati rice, boiled||45|
|Canned green peas, purchase||45|
|The whole-wheat toast||45|
|Orange juice without the sugar||45|
|Tselnozernovym Breakfast is ready (without using sugar, honey)||43|
|Carrot juice (without sugar)||40|
|Pasta cooked «al dente»||40|
|Wild (black) rice, boiled||35|
|Meat with beans, steamed||35|
|Fresh green peas||35|
|Chinese noodles and vermicelli||35|
|Natural yogurt is fat-free||35|
|Soy sauce (no sugar added)||35|
|Low-fat ice cream based on fructose||35|
|Compote (without sugar)||34|
|Soy milk without sugar||30|
|Fresh carrots of any variety||30|
|Fresh pear of any variety||30|
|Jam (no sugar added)||30|
|Low-fat cottage cheese||30|
|Blueberries, blueberries, cranberries||30|
|Dark chocolate (70% cocoa)||30|
|Fresh passion fruit||30|
|Milk (any fat content)||30|
|Golden beans large||25|
|Gooseberry fresh, ripe||25|
|Pumpkin seeds raw||25|
|Peanut butter (no sugar added)||20|
|Soy yogurt home||20|
|Cabbages, white or blue||15|
|Brussels sprouts fresh||15|
|Hazelnuts, pine nuts, pistachios, walnuts||15|
|Salted or pickled cucumbers||15|
|Tofu (soy cheese)||15|
|Parsley, Basil, cinnamon, oregano, vanilla||5|