Chicory: benefits and harms
Now, many nutritionists and doctors suggest men and women use this drink from this plant, as an alternative to coffee. The root of the flower invigorates, energizes, almost no different in taste. However, chicory is a medicinal herb that carries its own benefits and harm, so use it with caution.
What is chicory
The plant has flowers of blue or purple. To see how it looks, you can look for photos on websites. It is believed that the powder of the plant brings more benefits than harm because it does not contain caffeine, so it doesn’t have a strong stimulating effect. Chicory is widely distributed in folk medicine, you can buy it at a pharmacy store in the following forms:
- the liquid extract isolated from root;
- soluble powder;
- leaf chicory;
- the seeds of plants;
- ground and roasted, which is considered to be the most useful.
Composition and useful properties
The basis for the drink is chicory ordinary, it chopped root. However, some manufacturers put on the shelves of unnatural product. Chicory: the benefits and harms give rise to many disputes, but more favorable properties, these include the following:
- The drink from the root of the plant is beneficial to diabetics because it contains inulin, a natural sugar substitute.
- Chicory brings vitality and energy with high protein content.
- Vitamins group B, beneficial for the nervous system, strengthening it.
- The drink from the root of the flower will help in restoring collagen in the skin, its use can help in the treatment of psoriasis. Drinking it or rubbing tincture of the skin, you saturate them with calcium, magnesium, potassium and vitamins.
- To improve the structure, speed up hair growth, reduce breakage will help rinse the heads with infusion of plants or ingestion of the drink.
- The powder will help to cope with a dysbacteriosis and constipations.
- Inulin, improves metabolism, cleans the body from internal pollution.
- Potassium and magnesium in the drink, helps to normalize the condition of the heart, blood vessels.
- Chicory contains a lot of iron, therefore, beneficial to people who suffer from anemia.
- To cope with parasites will help the plant root infused with water bath.
- The drink helps cleanse the kidneys and liver.
How useful chicory for weight loss
Various properties of chicory: the benefits and harms for weight loss are often discussed, but the plant is such that promote weight loss, features:
- helps to absorb simple carbohydrates;
- speeds up metabolism;
- contains pectin, which removes pollution from the body;
- removes excess fluid, exerting a diuretic effect;
- prevents the saturation energy of fat cells;
- relieves digestive problems.
All these properties indicate that the flower helps to struggle successfully with excess weight. Why nutritionists often recommend the herb for weight loss. You can use instant powder drink, salad chicory, seeds or prepared independently the tincture. However, other experts say that the use of plants for weight loss may cause harm by increasing the appetite. The calorie content of chicory in 100 grams is 21 kcal.
Can chicory during pregnancy and breastfeeding
On the question of what chicory benefits and harms pregnant women and nursing mothers, the opinions of experts are divided. Some argue that those who like coffee, the chicory would be an excellent substitute for dangerous drink. In the grass a lot of useful properties that will have a positive impact on the health of expectant mothers. Other scientists are inclined to believe that the plant is better not to drink during this period. Attribute this to the fact that the root of the flower can cause allergic child, to bring harm to the nervous system of the fetus.
How to choose a soluble chicory
Chicory benefits and harms, depending on its quality. To correctly choose a useful product, follow the recommendations:
- Please note on the packing material. Stop your choice on the jar of glass, where it will be clearly visible contents.
- Powder from the root of the flower must be uniform, without lumps. The presence of lumps indicates improper storage.
- Don’t buy the drink mix, which is a dust. This product may contain chemical or natural supplements that can harm.
- The packaging must be closed tightly to prevent the penetration of moisture.
How to cook and make recipes
What drinks and how to prepare the plants:
- Tea made from the root of a plant:
- water 0.2 l;
- cream – 2 tbsp;
- powdered root – 1 tsp
How to drink chicory and cook:
- Place the powder in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil using a small flame.
- After the start of boiling and boil for about 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Tea some time to brew.
- Add in ready-to-drink cream.
- You can use not more often 2 times a day.
- Liquid chicory with milk:
- honey – 2 tsp.;
- milk – 200 ml;
- chicory soluble liquid – ¼ tsp
How to cook:
- Pour the milk into a saucepan or pot, put on fire and bring to a boil.
- Add liquid chicory, mix thoroughly.
- Removing the drink from the stove, add the honey.
- How much can you drink in a day: twice a day 1 Cup.
- Coffee drink:
What you need:
- water 0.2 l;
- soluble chicory powder – 1 tsp;
- ground barley root – 1 tsp.;
The cooking process:
- The powders are put in a Cup, mix and pour hot water.
- Steep with the lid closed for about 20 minutes.
- Sugar and cream can add according to your taste.
Contraindications to the use
Powder from the root of the flower brings great benefits to the body, but there are contraindications, the presence of which plant is harmful:
- pathology of the gallbladder;
- violations in the work of the heart;
- gastritis, pancreatitis, stomach ulcer;
- eating at night can lead to sleep problems;
- the age of 3 years;
- in combination with milk can cause hypertension, to raise and lower the pressure;
- varicose veins and other vascular disease.
Video on the healing properties of chicory ordinary
Margarita, 24 years
Drinking chicory for weight loss tips nutritionist. Very tasty drink, great coffee replacement. Lost a few kilos without dieting. Felt like my digestive system has improved. The drink from the root of invaluable use and a good mood.
Andrew, 35 years
For health reasons I am not allowed to drink caffeine, but I have always loved this drink. The doctor advised me to replace coffee with sugar. To use often impossible, but 2 cups a day help to get fit and keep working throughout the day. Soluble chicory drink with use and small price.
Oksana, 28 years old
During pregnancy is drinking coffee chicory. Then I read that its use may cause harm during this period. However, in my case, everything went well. No allergic reactions drink made from the root of the herb did not call me. Lactation stopped using, so as not to harm the child.