Full-leaf Ceylon tea
This drink is like tea – it has become a tradition of the use in countries around the world. Only Russia and the CIS countries annually buy in Sri Lanka (Ceylon) about 50 thousand tons of tea products, and its incredible popularity. Ceylon varieties get the highest score of experts, surpassing many of the criteria even Indian (Assamese), which was withdrawn. And to fully appreciate the quality of tea from Sri Lanka, not only taste, but also with knowledge of the matter, is to meet with him and the main tea wisdom closer.
History of Sri Lanka and the cultivation of Ceylon tea
Nowadays, Ceylon (present Sri Lanka) is associated in most people with tea. However, in the early NINETEENTH century, enterprises in this region has specialized exclusively in the production of coffee for export and chaired by the British colonialists. The first tea plantation in this area were planted by a Scotsman by birth, James and Taylor in 1967, was only 8 hectares, and were a trial batch, which do not have high hopes. The focus of the entrepreneur still was directed to the cultivation of beans coffee, not tea.
Two years later, the insects ruined coffee plantations to save the company from collapse, it was decided to compensate for the loss tea plantations that grew quickly bore fruit throughout the year. Tea of Ceylon, like the Europeans, and in a short time gave great profit to Taylor than coffee. The tea business began to grow rapidly, to develop: in less than ten years the production volume was increased to 400 hectares, until the early twentieth century. – up to 120,000 ha by this time in Sri Lanka moved the eminent manufacturers of tea, such as Thomas Lipton, whose business is thriving now.
To Ceylon tea was fragrant, rich, high-quality, it is grown, harvested in a special way:
- The best teas are grown at an altitude of 1000-2700 m above sea level, so they are more likely to be filled with warmth of the sun. This Alpine mid-mountain and several types of tea.
- High mountain tea growing at an altitude of 1200 m and higher, are considered the best. In Sri Lanka to such belongs plantations Nuwara Eliya is the source of Ceylon tea of the highest class. In the highland and tea plantations Unfortunately, Dimbula. Only such grades accounted for about 27% of the total tea production in Ceylon.
- Medium land on the level of 600-1200 m, these teas account for only 19 % of total exports. That teas of medium and high quality, rich, with excellent taste, often with the original flavor characteristics. These include the plantation areas, Kandy, Galle.
- Low growing in lowland plantations and below 600 metres above sea level. These teas are low, middle grades, which are often used for the production of mixtures, filling, flavored products. Include such plantations Ratnapura district.
The quality of tea also depends on correct application of the processing technology. So, since ripening to packaging, tea leaves undergo the next stage of impact that affect taste, aroma value:
- Collection of tea. During the gathering, according to the technology, it is necessary to remove only the top two leaves and Bud. Only tea from the top leaves may be considered of high quality. The lower part of the tea plant is also often used, but in the manufacture of low-quality small leaf tea or a blend (mixture).
- Withering of tea. This process of primary processing of tea leaves in which the leaves are slightly obsushivayut under the influence of freely circulating warm air.
- Twisting of tea. This influence on the structure of the sheet with the subsequent release of tea enzymes which give the tea aroma, astringent taste and twisted form. The correctness of the execution of this stage (from how curled the leaves) depends on how long the tea can remain in good condition.
- Fermentation of tea. The oxidation process of the sheet (absorption of the oxygen) under the influence of the moist cool climate, the result of this phase is the first darkening of the sheet, there is bitterness. In the manufacture of green tea, this step is skipped.
- Drying of tea. It run raw materials through the stream of hot air for final drying. This tea will finally come into its darker shade.
- Sort of tea. Run the finished tea through a vibrating mesh of various level of bristoli, with the purpose of screening different size sheets. It is formed of small, medium, large leaf tea, which is then Packed and sold.
Classification of loose tea on view letter
The word «Pekoe» comes from the Chinese «Bai Hoa», which means «white eyelash» (talking about the buds – tips, which are found in tea fees), and refers to loose teas, to be brewed. The amount and integrity of the sheet they are divided into:
- Loose leaf tea – whole first, second, third or fourth tea leaves are high or medium quality. They are represented by the classes «orange Pekoe» («Royal», substrate) and Peko (lower quality).
- Medium – leaf tea- broken or cut the leaves and tips (unopened buds). Represented by a class «Flowery broken orange Pekoe».
- Small leaf tea – small broken leaves, bran, or dust. Can be used independently or for the production of packaged products. Represented by the classes of tea «broken orange Pekoe, broken orange Pekoe Fannings», «broken orange Pekoe.»
Benefits of black loose leaf tea
All varieties of Ceylon large leaf tea made by one technology and the plants themselves are of high quality and pronounced flavor. However, tea has some advantage over other types of these products:
- This tea is better quality, has a tartness as the sheet and all its aromatic substances intact, small — and medium-leaf is only fragments, often stems, the leaf baby.
- The presence of a large number of «dropouts», which is the broken tea, may indicate improper treatment that directly affects the quality.
The benefits and harms of drink
- tea exhilarates;
- activates metabolism;
- normalizes the work of cardiovascular system;
- normalizes the digestive tract;
- tea improves the condition of the nervous system;
- good prevention of cancer;
- useful in pregnancy;
- produces a rejuvenating effect;
- tea promotes weight loss.
- hot tea is harmful to the stomach and esophagus;
- can lead to yellowing of teeth.
- large quantities can cause insomnia, headache;
- the excess tea can cause increase in pressure (decrease), the load on the heart;
- causes excessive secretion of gastric juice, and therefore harmful to the ulcer;
- attached, the astringent properties of tea can strengthen the constipation;
- can exacerbate high body temperature.
How to brew black tea
- Scald the teapot.
- Put into a tea (1 teaspoon on 1 Cup of tea).
- Boil water, don’t keep long in hot condition.
- Pour the boiling water into the teapot.
- Cover, and the top is cloth (not towel).
- Steep 5 minutes. The tea is ready!
If you want to learn more about how to insist Ceylon tea with large leaves, to see the tea ceremony with my own eyes, to understand how best to extract aromatic bouquet with him, watch a video, a link to which can be found below. It contains step by step instructions of how to properly brew this healthy, strong and very fragrant drink:
The rating of the tea, according to experts
|No.||The name tea||Evaluation of tea (max=6)|
|1||«Matre de The Noir «Ceylon with tips»||5,25|
|2||«RISTON CEYLON PREMIUM». Orang Pekoe-standard||5|
|3||«Mlesna NUWARA ELIYA» («Nuwara Elia Mlesna»)||4,75|
|4||«AHMAD TEA». OR-standard||4,5|
|5||«Greenfield» Magic Yunnan||4,5|
|6||«Dilmah» (THE SINGLE ORIGIN TEA 100% PURE CEYLON)||4,25|
|8||«Crown of the Russian Empire» («may»)||4,25|
|9||«LIPTON YELLOW LABEL TEA»||4,25|
|10||«Brooke Bond»/ «Brooke Bond»||3,75|
|11||«TWININGS» («ENGLISH BREAKFAST TEA»/ «English Breakfast tea»)||3,5|
Where to buy and how much it costs in Russia
Ceylon tea is very popular in Russia is the main importer of tea production in Sri Lanka, but because this drink can be purchased at any grocery store. However, if the purpose of buying a collection of high quality, it is better to look for this tea in specialized points of sale or checked online stores, here are some of them:
|Addresses of the outlets and online stores in Moscow||Estimated price, RUB/100 g of tea|
|«Two taste». TC «Troika», Pav. 234||80-182|
|«Radhika». Ul. Electrode D. 2, page 36||Range of 300-420|
|«SmartTea». Prospekt Mira, house 4, str 1||160-220|
|Tea shop «Green Monkey». Stavtea.ru||200-350|
|The trademark «Vintage». Tea-coffee.info||180-260|
|Trademark «Betford» Betford.ru||140-280|
|Internet supermarket «Edamol». Edamoll.ru||170-190|