How to test blood sugar
Blood sugar is every person more often than other research because it can say a lot about your health. To learn about possible problems or changes in the condition of the body, you need to pass the material to the lab. The article will examine how to conduct such research, what they are and explain that the effective values specified in the statement.
High or low blood sugar: symptoms and measurement
The main hormone which regulates sugar levels – insulin. Its secretion is increased at higher glucose levels. Decreases in blood sugar levels after the cells of the body consume it, resulting in stimulated synthesis of glycogen in the liver. When the body receives glucose, it breaks up inside the stomach and then enters to the cells.
If you have large stress, disruption of the hormonal system can be disrupted metabolism, so sugar levels will also change. If it is too low, the cells of the body are in a state of energy starvation and the period of their stay without nutrients is extremely short. The most vulnerable are thus considered to be brain cells, since they are most in need of constant influx of nutrients.
Among the signs of decrease blood sugar levels, called hypoglycemia, secrete excessive sweating, hunger, palpitations, trembling, nausea, unmotivated anxiety, paresthesia of the skin on the lips. If the time the cells don’t get needed glucose, you may experience headaches, drowsiness and weakness, impaired vision, inability to Orient in space, confused.
When the level of glucose in the blood increases and this process is not regulated by the body, people will feel certain symptoms. If it occurs due to insufficiency of insulin, the disease is called diabetes mellitus. It varies with the physiological increase of indicators and pathological. Symptoms of diabetes are: frequent urination, polydipsia (thirst, lack of water), polyphagia (or constant desire to eat).
How blood sugar: preparation
Depending on what the blood sugar will be amended and training requirements. The question of how to test blood sugar, there are General rules:
- The meal should be not less than 8 hours before the blood test. For this reason it is recommended to perform all procedures morning, on an empty stomach after sleep.
- You should not change diet before going for tests because it is so easy to get wrong important data.
- Excessive physical load on the body is also not recommended. The same applies to alcohol consumption, and Smoking.
- Brushing teeth is also not necessary, because the paste may contain glucose.
- There are tests that measure the glucose level within a certain time (the first – on an empty stomach, then – after the reception of sweet water for several hours). Such research should take place without any food other than the recommended syrup.
- Much before the tests ask the question of whether to drink water. Yes, this is allowed, but not in all cases. It is better to consult a doctor to make sure.
Before coming to the clinic to donate blood you need to ask, what is the investigation and what actions precede the blood test on sugar, so the result is reliable. Definition of divergence from the norm will be the basis for a correct diagnosis, and then treatment assigned to the patient.
Blood sugar at home
A dozen years ago, blood sugar could only be taken at a clinic or a specialized lab. Now the situation has changed, and people with diabetes can check their performance at least every day at home. For this different methods are used, but they have a number of recommendations. The basic rule says that when conducting an independent analysis of the blood sugar must be kept clean.
The result always has the right to deviations, so you should carefully study the instructions of the manufacturer of the devices or test strips that indicate valid ranges of errors. The main ways to test blood sugar at home:
- The glucometer. Such devices can be photometric or electrochemical, but the principle of operation does not influence the result. You must apply the drop of blood on a disposable plate with the indicator, which within seconds will give information about blood glucose, and the screen will display the result. The accuracy of glucose meters is not the highest allowed error range of 20%, so the value of this device and lab tests may slightly be different.
- Diagnostic test for collection of the urine. Such paper strips are covered with a special reagent, which in a few minutes will show the result. Urine in contact with the test strip color it in a certain color depending on glucose levels. Shade with a good result depends on the manufacturer of the test, so you should carefully read the user manual. Sugar appears in the urine when there is excess, which is excreted from the body (so the internal organs clean the blood). The test result shows the state of the organism, after a certain period of time. The test can show the presence of acetone in the urine, which is very important in diabetes.
Where do you get the blood glycemic
This type of tests is taken from the finger during the day several times. For the first time the study is conducted in the morning on an empty stomach. After that, the analysis will be carried out four times, time is prescribed by a doctor (the last stage will be later in the evening). At the time of diagnosis the patient should eat so as always to lead a normal lifestyle. Only in this case it is possible to determine what time of day and why sugar level is high. From the blood veins on the glycemic test can also take, if it seems no single analysis package.
The rate of sugar in the blood of women, men, children and pregnant
Normal levels of sugar levels vary depending on the time of blood sampling. Any deviation from the accepted figure indicates a malfunction of the endocrine system and requires immediate treatment to the doctor. So, type 2 diabetes (ainsley) it is possible to compensate, if you limit the consumption of large amounts of carbohydrates, but the insulin of the first type requires daily injections. Adults, children and pregnant women may be different rates of sugar, look at them:
- Glucose in the morning, fasting should be from 3.3 to 5.5 mmol/L.
- If the value falls within 5.5 to 6.0 mmol/l, we speak of the intermediate state (the diagnosis is a violation of tolerance to glucose).
- For diabetics the normal glucose in the morning may be between 6.1 and above.
- Sugar levels a few hours after eating should be below 10 mmol/L.
- Glycated hemoglobin (every three months) below 6.5-7 %.
Other glycemic tests and their meanings
So that people understand all of the possible threats to his health, is glad the additional tests for sugar. They can tell whether you are lifestyle, well-nourished patient. Glycemic tests may indicate elevated levels of cholesterol in the blood, which also negatively affects the total functioning. Consider the most popular types of sugar tests.
On a sugar curve
The blood sugar curve shows the glucose level before eating, and after appropriate stress on the body. It is held the morning before meals (do not have at least 12 hours prior to analysis), and then with the use of sugar syrup (1.75 g per kg of body weight, but not more than 75 g per serving). The level of glucose is determined after 1 hour and 2 hours after taking the drug. This analysis is carried out on the sugar curve in patients with diabetes, pregnant women and people who have disorders of the blood.
For latent diabetes
After no food for at least 8 hours shall be blood for this analysis. The standard value of glucose is not more than 100 mg/DL. The disease is diagnosed when the value is above 126 mg/DL. If the result of the test showed values from 100 to 126, the doctors will tell about the presence of latent diabetes. After the initial blood the patient eats glucose, and 2 hours passes the test again. The standard value in this case will be under 140 mg/DL. Anything above 140 and less than 200 mg/DL is considered a sign of latent diabetes.
A blood sugar load
Most often this analysis is performed on pregnant women to determine the condition and composition of their blood. Here we are not talking about diabetes, doctors need to make sure that the mother’s body can handle any glucose load and will not pose a threat to the child. In the process of planning research should ask the doctor how to prepare for blood sugar during pregnancy, so you do not be confused from the new information.