Aureus in newborns
One group of bacteria that live on the skin and mucous membranes of humans, called staphylococci. By reducing the immunity they cause various diseases. This often happens in newborns, as a favorite habitat of the Staphylococcus is a maternity hospital. About the symptoms and ways of treatment of these infections you will learn below.
What is MRSA and where does it come from
Medicine defines the Staphylococcus as one of the types of bacteria. A translation from ancient Greek use the phrase «the seed of grapes.» When viewed under the microscope, the bacteria looks like a bunch of these berries. Staphylococcus aureus is a gram-positive due to the fact that in laboratory studies it is not discolored, and retains its Golden color. In nature bacteria found in the soil or air. Risk factors for the occurrence of the pathogen in newborns are:
- problems at birth;
- incorrect process of care for a newborn;
- pathology during pregnancy;
- premature birth.
Medical statistics notes the large number of cases of occurrence of Staphylococcus in the hospital. In this place all people due to diseases weakened immune system. This situation «opens the door» for any infection, including staph. Another cause of infection can be carriers of bacteria from the number of nurses or neonatal patients. They may not know their status, but have the infection in one form or another. Staphylococcus aureus a baby also causes various diseases. Depending on them, he is classified:
- Hemolytic. Affects the respiratory tract, therefore, is the cause of sore throat or tonsillitis.
- Saprophytic. Cause cystitis or urethritis.
- Golden. More dangerous for the baby. Is the cause of purulent inflammation of all organs and tissues.
How is Staphylococcus aureus
Ingested staph baby immediately after birth. Check the body of the newborn this and other bacteria is considered a normal process of adaptation to the environment. After birth the baby is completely sterile, but for the first minute of his life stomach, intestinal tract, nasopharynx, skin, and other organs are the penetration of various microorganisms. Infection often occurs via the mother’s milk, or cracks in the nipple.
Where in the hospital does a staph infection? Any hospital conducts periodic disinfection. In this procedure, dead bacteria: pathogenic, and useful. The vacated space and takes the aureus. It is carried by the hospital with the same doctors. Staphylococcus aureus is the child considered a common phenomenon, so happen in hospitals, even outbreaks caused by this bacterium infections.
Symptoms of staph infection
As mentioned above, this type of bacteria in newborns can affect skin, mucous membranes or internal organs. From type of infection depend on the symptoms of staph infection in infants. The infection manifests itself:
- on the skin: carbuncles, boils or other rashes;
- on the mucous membranes of the throat and noses, as the common cold, i.e. a runny nose, frequent sneezing, cough;
- intestinal: indigestion with frequent mushy or watery stools, accompanied by moodiness newborn;
- on the mucous membrane of the eyes, redness, lacrimation and conjunctivitis;
- less blood in the form of sepsis, which is characterized by poor appetite and changes in skin color;
- common symptoms: malaise, insomnia, fever, vomiting or lethargy.
In the intestine
The incidence of staph infection of the intestine of the newborn occurs after eating, where the presence of this bacterium. This also applies to breast milk. The causative agent can have different localization in the digestive tract, so infection occurs in various forms. Most kids at such a young age it manifests itself as food poisoning, gastroenteritis or gastritis. A feature of the disease is that their incubation period is only a few hours. On the development of the pathology is indicated by the following signs:
- frequent episodes of vomiting;
- painful or swollen abdomen;
- frequent crying;
- blanching of the skin;
- the attacks of cold sweat;
- a liquid stool of watery consistency to 4-6 times per day;
- the refusal of the breast;
- high temperature.
In stool in infants
More accurately detect a staph infection in newborns in Calais after lab tests. If the assumption is confirmed, then this points to the emergence of bacteria in the gut. Any mother should alert the following symptoms:
- the baby became less active, naughty and refuses to eat;
- temperature has risen;
- noted painful abdomen;
- the stool is watery, and liquid foamy texture and green color;
- detected in the stool mucus.
Some changes of feces allowed in the first weeks of baby’s life, because his body, is only colonized by microflora and does not produce all the necessary enzymes. For this reason, treatment is often not prescribed, even at detection of Staphylococcus aureus in the newborn in Calais. Drug therapy is only necessary when the child observed the above symptoms.
Aureus in the blood
The most severe form of infection with Staphylococcus aureus sepsis. This disease is popularly called blood poisoning. Than it is dangerous? Another source of localization of the bacterium enters the bloodstream and then spreads to all the organs: lungs, brain, heart, abdomen, kidneys, and bones. As a consequence, developed for more diseases, such as pneumonia or meningitis.
If you suspect sepsis, it is obligatory hospitalization of the newborn, because the disease has a high percentage of deaths. Among the symptoms of infection of the blood stand out are:
- cardiac and renal failure;
- low blood pressure;
- weakness and capricious behavior of the baby.
On the skin
Aureus in newborns can cause even the most ordinary pimple. In the normal the body immune system of the baby itself to cope with this problem. If the body is weakened, there is a rash of bubbles, inside of which pus. They are all scratched, and the wrong treatment of increase the lesions. Then a staph infection in children penetrates the sweat glands, resulting in the popping boils, carbuncles or barley. Sepsis can lead to sepsis, meningitis or pneumonia.
How to take the analysis on Staphylococcus aureus
If the doctors suspected staph infection, the analysis is sent to pass not only the child but also his mother. The woman in the tank seeding should take only breast milk. Aureus in newborns is defined by the following materials:
- mucus from the nose when symptoms similar to a cold virus or influenza;
- Kal if there are signs of dysbiosis;
- the blood of the subject to the manifestations of signs of infection, i.e. sepsis.
Count of Staphylococcus in the capture material is conducted manually. If the value is higher than normal and there are symptoms pointing to a particular disease, it is immediately assigned the appropriate treatment. When the baby was active and not capricious, but the result of the analysis is still bad, the therapy is not carried out. Within a few days just watching the condition of the newborn, and then again take the pot seeding. At detection of Staphylococcus aureus in breast milk treatment of the baby with his mother.
How to treat staph infection
Among the methods of treatment of staph infection in newborns are often used and folk remedies. The peculiarity is that the child should have nothing to eat, except mother’s milk. For this reason, herbal teas are used for baths. Effective are bark inner bark, chamomile and calamus. Additionally the popular treatment of staphylococcal infections involves the maintenance of hygiene of the child, complete sterilization of the surrounding objects and the use of antiseptic for the treatment of skin rashes.
With these methods, parents should be careful and pay more attention to prescriptions of doctors. To cure a staph infection, there are different groups of medications:
- probiotics in intestinal aureus: Bifidumbakterin, Bifikol;
- drugs against staph: staphylococcal toxoid, bacteriophage, the immunoglobulin;
- from intoxication: glucose or saline was administered via the IV drip;
- antibiotics for staphylococcal pneumonia and meningitis: permitted newborn penicillins and cephalosporins.